June 21, the longest day of the year is fast approaching. “At home” outdoor entertaining and “staycations,”have propelled an ever increasing market of outdoor furnishings and grills.
Did you know that outdoor entertaining is a new industry that is expected to be $9.1 billion industry by 2019?
We have moved from a small deck into fully equipped spaces that include refrigeration, dishwashers, cooking surfaces, grills, pizza ovens, smokers, turkey fryers, and even patio heaters that extend the outdoor season.
The top three emerging trends driving the outdoor furniture market in the US according to Technavio research analysts are:
1. Increasing demand for grilling products
The popularity of cooking shows and recipes available in magazines and on the Internet has generated a high level of interest to try new cuisines.
2. Outdoor furniture products with multi-functional features.
3. Growing adoption of eco-friendly furniture.
Some criteria for outdoor furnishings:
Structurally sturdy enough to withstand the heavy winds with fabric that will allow water to run off or be wicked away and be fade resistant to the sun. We get very strong winds in Howard county, Carroll County, and surrounding areas.
I am working on a large outdoor living space right now. This area includes multiple types of seating for dining, lounging, and sitting by the fireplace. Where there are various seating areas we are unifying them by coordinating fabric and finish.
- The view as you look from your deck to the patio below.
- Fabrics and finishes need to create a certain rhythm
- Fabrics should harmonize with the natural beauty that surrounds you which is one of the reasons you are outside in the first place.
- Vary your seating based on function and styling
- Urban living has created a whole market of convertible furnishings
A great local source for outdoor furniture is www.dunnrite.com.
Located at 7448 Springfield Avenue, Sykesville, MD 21784.
Ask for Chuck or Phil.
Our favorites included: Lloyd Flanders, Tropitone, and OW Lee.
Call today for your outdoor design or update.
Debbie McHale of Interior Transformations 443-386-3805 or email@example.com